Saturday 3 January 2015

Do Tomb Kings celebrate new year?

I'm not so sure they do, but I know I do! So happy new year and all the best to you readers!

After my last post, I set to work on priming my tomb king battalion (Army painter - Matt white, for those interested), which did not take too long, given the quality of the spray, truly the best primer I have encountered thus far, however it did leave a nice white coat on other parts of the garage! (Probably my bad, woops!). After doing so I proceeded to wash the whole army in Seraphim Sepia, but sadly I ran through a whole bottle of the stuff! So I am await more to be delivered, but here is the progress thus far;
The whole army thus far.


Archers and horsemen.
Warriors and chariots.















It really does amaze me how one wash can make the models look that good. It certainly is to a tabletop standard once a few details have been added to the weapons etc, however I prefer to drybrush Ushabti bone onto the skeletons after this wash, as I feel it helps make them stand out as well as clean them up a little, which can be seen below;

Drybrushed mini's.

As you can probably see in the background of the above picture, I got a little excited and decided to paint a couple of them up fully, just to get an idea of how the finished product will look, and luckily for you (or not depending on your opinion!), I took a couple of pictures of them close up;

Two close up
One tilted towards light.
I am quite happy with how these came out, though I may change a couple of things on future models, for example, the gold rim on the shields, on these models I applied a base layer of Scorched Brown, followed by a layer of Ghennas Gold, then a drybrush highlight of Runefang steel, onto a wash of Delvan Mud, and then finally a drybrush of Ghennas gold to brighten it up a little (it looked too copperish for my tastes). In the future though, I will probably try washing it with Seraphim Sepia, as from what I have seen, it doesn't 'dull' the gold as much.
            After the completion of the mini's above, and no more Seraphim Sepia (Gogo Element Games order!), I decided to move onto batch painting the shields;

The backs of all 29 shields.
A close up.

The wood effect was achieved simply by using VGC Khaki as a base, followed by a wash of Delvan Mud. As for the copper, it is a base of Hashut Copper, followed by a wash of Delvan Mud (WOO FOR WASHES), though I still need to drybrush highlight it with Runefang Steel and then a final wash of Hashut Copper. The top rim of the shield, which will eventually be gold, has only been based with Scorched Brown thus far, as has the golden bits of the fronts of the shields;

Based with brown ready for gold application.

I intend to do most of the detail on the front of the shield once I have finished the detail on the back and then glued it onto the model, purely because I find it much easier to paint / handle this way. The army is coming together at a reasonable speed, so do keep a look out for further posts!

Expect to see the warrior & horsemen complete or very close to next time!

Until we meet again.


No comments:

Post a Comment